How can I keep track of the creative team
- everyone from the Creator
to the Computer Colorist and Translator?
Back in the ancient days of antiquity, in the late 80's and early 90's, creative teams were pretty much composed of writers, artists and inkers. Well, as Bob Dylan put it so eloquently, "The Times, They are a'changin'".
Nowadays, you have everything from Computer Colorists to Visual Designers to Translators, and more. Well, Realms of Wonder, as by now I hope you would expect, allows you to enter any and all creative team members, and capture the role they played on that team. There's no limit to the number of team members you can enter for an issue.
In addition, you can enter creative teams that apply to the entire issue, or, you can enter individual creative teams that apply to each story for anthology issues.
The following fields are available on the Creative Team window:
- Story Name
- Pretty self explanatory - this is the name of the particular story you for which you are entering the creative team. Using Barry Windsor Smith's Storyteller, as an example, here's where you would enter "Paradoxman", "The Freebooters", etc. This field is displayed only for Anthology issues. To see the creative team for another story, select that story from the drop down list, or type the first few letters.
- ID Number
- This is the internal ID number of the currently active story. This number links the team members to a particular story.
This field also displays in the list below, where you can change it, if you wish to move a creative team member from one story to another without having to delete the existing record and then add a new record.
- Creative Team Role
- Enter the role that this person fills as a member of the creative team - artist, writer, creator, letters, etc. You can enter any role that you wish - no limits.
- Sequence Number
- This may seem like a worthless field at first, but it's actually pretty helpful. The sequence number allows you to sort the team members any way you wish. I like to enter the team members in the same order they appear in the book. Well, unfortunately, that's not usually the same as sorting them alphabetically. Realms sorts them by this sequence number, so by entering the sequence number properly, the team members will always appear in the correct order.
- Team Member Name
- Enter the actual name of the team member here. As with all drop down lists, you can also select from the list, or just type the first few letters, and Realms will "type ahead" to pop up the first match.
- Include All in dropdown list
- By default, Realms includes all the creative team members on file in the Name drop down list. If you have a large collection, this may cause poor response time, so you can change it to either of the 2 options below.
- Include only team members with the same role
- By default, Realms includes all the creative team members on file in the Name drop down list. If you have a large collection, this may cause poor response time. If you choose this option, Realms will fill the Name drop down list only with names that have been identified with the selected role. For example, if you chose "Writer" as the role, the Name list box will only list team members who are writers.
- Clear the Team Member list
- By default, Realms includes all the creative team members on file in the Name drop down list. If you have a large collection, this may cause poor response time. If you have a really large collection, it could get pretty annoying. By selecting this option, you clear the Name drop down list box, and it behaves like a regular text box, which means there is no lost from which to select, and there is no type ahead. But it also means there will be no delay.
Features and Functions
- Many of the functions described below apply not only to Creative Team data, but to many of the data entry windows in Realms.
- New button
- Click this button on any data entry window to clear the fields and prepare the database to enter a new record.
- Save button
- Click this button on any data entry window to save any changes you have made. Realms will enable this field when it detects you have made changes. In addition, it will warn you if you make changes without saving.
- Delete button
- Click this button on any data entry window to delete the currently active record. Realms will always verify your deletion request before actually deleting the record.
- Refresh button
- Click this button to refresh the data that appears in the window. This is especially useful if you manually change the sequence numbers, and want to get everything back in the correct order.
- Print button
- Click this button on any window to print the report associated with the window. If multiple reports could apply, you will be asked which to print.
- Help button
- Realms has a pretty complete help system built in, making use of on line Cue Cards that tell you about each field and button. On certain windows, the Cue Cards are unavailable (technical reasons you're probably not interested in). On those windows, you can click the help button, or right mouse click on any field/button to get help.
- Close button
- Click this button to close the currently active window. You can also us the normal Windows close options as well.
- List of Creative Team Members
- The list portion of this windows displays all the creative team members currently entered for this issue or for this story, if applicable. The first time you go into this window, this part will be empty. You can move from team member to team member by clicking on any row in the list. You can also change data right in the list (especially useful for changing the sequence numbers, and therefore the sort order).